Bellum Hyrulianae

By Jack O'Reily


Prologue

Forty years have passed since the Hero Link, having slain the vile Ganon and brought peace to the Realm of the Second Kingdom of Hyrule, left the land in wanderlust. In this time, great disasters and great triumphs have both plagued and blessed the Realm as the time marched on to the wishes of the Golden Ones. King Nohansen LXVII, having been slain by the Wizard Agahnim, was succeeded by his brother, King Harkinian II, who was succeeded in his timely passing by the Crown Prince Cyrus I, who was in turn succeeded by the Crown Prince Cyrus II.

Indeed, as perchance the reader might be curious at the shift in title amongst the generations of Monarchs. It was the custom of the land of Hyrule that a King would be judged by the Symbol that provides the Authority of the Monarchy. If one holds the Complete, and True, Triforce, than that kind and virtuous soul would be crowned as King of Hyrule. Contrarily, if a successor to the Throne is not virtuous, and violates the sacred bond between the Golden Ones and the Hylia, then that soul should be designated the Crown Prince of the land. It is said that the rule of a Crown Prince will bring about great misfortune to Hyrule, and would in turn mark the appearance of a Hero.

Since the Hero, last of the Line of the Knights, had left Hyrule, there was little hope that he would indeed return. The people knew well of the legends passed down from the Hylian ancestors, who first crossed the vast and Great Sea and founded the Second Kingdom. These legends spoke of a Hero, garbed in green, who slew an unknown monster of great power, and brought peace to the land. However, it was said that this Hero as well left the land, and Hyrule was laid to waste by the Gods. The people were wary of this occurrence.

To secure his hold on the Realm, King Harkinian II extended the borders of Hyrule to the northern shore, enveloping the unorganized peoples of the north, whom were in great numbers of the Human race. This stood in stark contrast to the Southern invaders – most of who were of Hylian blood – the rest their Human compatriots. Indeed, as time progressed, this contrast between the Humans and Hylians worsened as animosity and a great economic divide grew between the two. Those of Hylian blood were the aristocracy, the Monarchy, and the vast majority of the merchant class. Those of Humanity were the commoners, peasants, and farmers. To be fair, despite appearances otherwise, the social order of Hyrule was intrinsically egalitarian, the economic divisions just coincidence and legacy, rather than an inflicted burden.

Despite the rationalization behind the situation, rumblings of dissent grew among the conquered, and newly assimilated, Humans of the north (now regarded as Upper Hyrule). A rebel militia emerged, the Cusantach – in the native tongue of the Northern Humans “Defenders” – and hundreds flocked to their cause. The leader of the raiders of Cusantach, Eirhan, was determined to bring revenge upon Hylia, by murdering the Monarch and humiliating the Royalty. Soon, news reached the Castle in the Lower Hyrule that the regional governor of the province of Northingplain had been assassinated, and the Garrison at Ruto Town had been razed, to the joy of all the inhabitants.

Civil War had broken out in the Second Kingdom of Hyrule.



Back to Story Menu