LOZ: Destiny's Return

by David Mahn


Chapter 4

     

Melsin stuttered," But...that's impossible, I'm eighteen-"

"It doesn't matter. I can feel the Triforce of Courage in your heart, and Ganon can feel it too. He knows that you are the only one that can destroy him."

"This is ludicrous. I mean, I don't have any Triforce of Courage-"

"Yes you do. You just don't know it yet. Trust me, I can sense it within you."

"So you mean I'm the one whose destiny it is to save Hyrule?"

"Yes."

"And that's why Ganon wants me dead?"

"Yes."

"But...why me?"

"You were the one destined to carry on the tradition of heroism. Trust me, you'll understand what you have to do soon enough."

"I doubt that."

"You don't have a choice, Link. You must destroy Ganon."

"But I can't do that! And call me Melsin."

"Fine, Melsin. But if you don't fulfill your destiny and fight back Ganon, then he will control the Triforce of Wisdom."

She looked grim. "And if he controls the Triforce of Wisdom, then he will be able to get the Triforce of Courage, too. And if he controls the whole Triforce, then he will be able to rule over Hyrule for all time. His thoughts and wishes and evil desires will become reality."

She paused. "He will become a god."

Melsin cleared his throat. "Well, of course I don't want that to happen, but what can I do? I'm just a farm boy, I don't know anything about battle or magic or monsters or anything."

"You will, Melsin."

Melsin sighed. "Okay, if you say so. But what are we going to do now?"

"For now, we will rest here. You need time to get yourself together after all the things that have happened."

"Okay." Melsin sat back against a tree. The dark forest around him was completely unfamiliar to him, although he could only see what was illuminated by Halie's luminescence. Finding this strange, he asked, "Halie, why do you glow?"

"All fairies do, Melsin."

"But why?"

"I don't know why, we just do."

There was silence for a moment, then Melsin asked, "Halie, how long do fairies live?"

"About eight hundred years."

"Really? Are you that old?"

"No!" she said indignantly. "I'm only three hundred and twelve!"

"So you mean...you were alive before the very first Ganon?"

"Yes."

"And you saw all the centennials?"

"No, I was in my home. The outside world is no place for just any old fairy."

"Your home? Where is that?"

"Fairies make their homes in the springs and ponds throughout Hyrule."

"So where were you?"

"I was living in the pond behind your house."

"Really?"

"Yes. That pond was there long before your house was built. But because the fairies sensed something special in you, I was assigned to be your guardian."

Melsin considered this for a moment. He then said, "So fairies like you are everywhere, watching over humans?"

"Yes. But there is no reason to be alarmed - fairies are perfectly harmless."

"Umm...are there any fairies around here?"

"Here? Certainly not! We only choose the nicest places to make our homes. Do you see any serene ponds or cozy caves in this area?"

Melsin looked around. "No."

"I thought not."

Melsin thought for a moment, then asked, "So where will we be heading next?"

"Our destination is over to the west - Hyrule Castle."

"Are you kidding? Do you know how far away that is?"

"It's not as far as you'd think."

"But...what do we need there?"

"You must draw the legendary Master Sword."

Melsin gasped. "But-"

"It's the only sword that can defeat Ganon. Also, you must have the help of Princess Zelda."

"The Princess? But-" Melsin trailed off, then sighed. "But they'd never lets us in there, anyway."

"You have a startling lack of faith. Don't worry, Melsin, we'll get in, but all that's in the future. For now, we must rest, for we have a long journey ahead of us."

Melsin stomach grumbled. "Boy, I'm hungry. How will I eat?"

"Don't worry. We will stop at the Queen Fairy's Fountain. It's not far from here. She will give you some Rupees."

"What? You mean fairies use money?"

"No. But the Queen has a stockpile for emergencies such as this. We fairies plan ahead."

"I see. So where can I get some food?"

"There should be a town along the road. You can get food and purchase supplies there."

"Supplies? Like what?"

"Like a sword and a shield, for starters. You could use a bow and arrows, too. I only wish we had time to take the one at your house."

"I see. But I don't know how to use a sword."

"Don't worry, I'll help you. It'll be a lot easier when you reach Hyrule Castle and take the Master Sword. But until then, you're going to need temporary equipment. Ganon's followers will be looking for you."

"Oh, great. But are you sure we'll have enough Rupees?"

"Certainly. Trust me, the Queen can take care of the situation."

"I'll have to take your word for it."

Melsin got up and looked around. The forest was starting to lighten just a little.

Halie said, "Dawn will come very soon. Come on, it's time to go. Just follow me."

"Which direction are we going?" Melsin asked as he walked behind Halie.

"To the west. The Queen Fairy's Fountain is in a clearing on the western edge of Grendem Woods. Fortunately, that's the direction we need to go anyway."

"How far?"

"Not far."

Melsin walked behind Halie for a little while. As they walked, Melsin surveyed the forest. As it started to get lighter, he noticed the forest was gradually thinning out. He knew that they must be reaching the edge, beyond which was the Hyrule Plains, which was a vast expanse near the center of the kingdom. He had never been this far in this direction. He had went out past the Range, over to the east of Shawshakilo Village, but he had never gone farther than that in any direction. It was unsafe for untrained farmboys to go wandering around away from their village, his parents had told him. There was an awful lot of ruthless criminals out there who could rob an unprotected traveler blind. If you were lucky. Of course, Melsin knew that he couldn't hit the broad side of a stable with his arrows, anyway. But now he didn't even have that.

With a frown, he quickened his pace.



Back to Story Menu