LOZ: Destiny's Return

by David Mahn


Chapter 8

      "Urin, is that you?" Melsin asked, dumbfounded.

"Yeah, it's me. Come on, let's go back to my table. We can talk there."

Melsin picked up his food and followed Urin back to a table in a musky corner by the wall. As they sat down, Urin said, "I didn't recognize you at first with that oversized shield on your back, but when I got a little closer, I knew it was you."

"Look, Urin, what are you doing here?"

"Looking for you. What else?"

"Yeah, but... how did you find me?"

"I described you to some soldiers that rode into town, and they said they saw you going in this direction."

Urin leaned forward and whispered, "Look, Melsin, just where are you going?"

"Urin, it's complicated, I..."

A thought occurred to Melsin. "Just what happened back there in the woods? How did you stop those... things?"

Urin's face suddenly went grim. "Boy, it was horrible. Those creatures just started pouring in from all directions, shooting those horrible flaming arrows. I was outside enjoying the night air when suddenly there was a huge red flash, and the next thing I know my house was on fire."

"Oh, no. What did you do?"

"I grabbed one on those creatures from behind and took one of those weird red arrows. I quickly loaded it into my bow, and fired it into a cluster of the creatures. There was a huge explosion, and then pieces of them were flying everywhere."

Urin look up, and a slight grin broke on his face. "The soldiers came in, and with my help, we snuck up on them and took their arrows. We turned the tide and drove them back!"

Urin's grin disappeared. "But, my family.... they didn't make it."

"Oh, man, I'm sorry."

"Neither did yours."

Melsin froze. "I.... suspected as much."

"So when I found out that someone had spotted you, I took your horse and rode up here. I have nothing back at Shawshakilo anymore, not now. I just wanna get back at however did this. I know someone, or something, was controlling those creatures. They were systematically taking down everything."

He paused. "As if they were looking for something. Or someone."

Melsin thought for a moment. So it was indeed Feldie he had seen outside. An idea occurred to him.

"Look, Urin, did you bring your bow and arrows with you?"

"Well of course I did, you think I'm going to come all the way down here without some- "

"Good. Where are they?"

"Right here, " he said as he held up a leather bag sitting next to him. "Why-"

"Great. Then you can come with us."

"What? Come where? And what do you mean by 'us'?"

"I'll explain later. First, let's find someplace a little more private."

After quickly finishing the remainder of his food, Melsin stood up and motioned for Urin to follow him. As they headed toward the door, the burly man from the counter yelled, "Hey, where you going, kid? You gotta pay for that! That's five Rupees!"

"Oh." Melsin hurried toward the counter, feeling the eyes of everyone in the room on him.

"Here you go." Melsin slid five of the green Rupees across the counter, then hurriedly caught up with a bemused Urin standing by the doorway.

"Remember, Melsin," Urin said under his breath, "you have to keep on your toes around here. Half these guys would as soon stab you and take your Rupees as look at you."

"Yeah, I was kinda getting that impression."

They walked onto the street. Melsin motioned around the corner. "Come on, back here, where the horses are."

They walked around toward where Melsin put Jahar. Urin whistled. "So this is your horse, huh? That must have cost you a bundle."

"I can afford it." Melsin discreetly took out the purple Rupees and showed them to Urin.

"Whoa, you could buy a city with that!"

"Sssssh, keep it down." Melsin looked around.

"Sorry."

Melsin walked over to the familiar-looking horse. It was indeed Feldie. "How ya doing, ol' girl," Melsin said as he affectionately patted her on the back. He looked around and saw a secluded alley hidden around the corner behind the next building. He turned to Urin.

"Come on. Let's go in this alley - I promised I'd explain."

As soon as Melsin felt that they were completely out of the way, he carefully opened his pocket. Halie zipped out immediately.

"Well, it's about time. I thought you'd take forever. I couldn't see or hear a thing in there and-"

She gasped as she saw Urin. "Who is that!? I'm not supposed to be seen!"

"Relax, Halie it's okay. This is my friend Urin. Remember when I was talking to you about him? He can come with us!"

"What? Absolutely not! This is far too dangerous for-"

"Wait a minute," Urin interrupted. "Can somebody please explain just what is going on here? I mean, what is that thing?"

"I am not a thing!" Halie snapped. "I am a fairy, and you had better learn some respect, you irreverent hoodlum!"

Urin breathed in deeply. "So fairies really do exist."

"Of course we do!"

"I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. I mean, if those awful creatures can exist, then why not fairies? Nothing seems to make sense anymore-"

"I think I had better explain what's going on," Melsin interjected. He explained to Urin everything: that Ganon had orchestrated the attack, that he was Link reborn, that they had to reach Hyrule Castle and the Master Sword.

As he finished, Melsin asked, "So, do you want to come with us?"

"You just try and stop me! I'll do anything to help avenge my family's death."

"Not so fast," Halie cut in. "I'm sorry for what happened to your family, but this quest is just too dangerous. Besides, you'd need a horse."

"I brought one."

"But you need to be able to defend yourself."

"I brought my bow and arrows."

"You brought a bow and arrows, huh?" Halie said with interest. She thought for a moment. "It would be useful to have someone who knows archery. But you have to understand that it's not going to be easy."

"I think I can handle it."

"Fine, you can come along with us. But I hope you know what you're getting into."



Back to Story Menu