Link's Reawakening
(Or the Orb of Darkness)

By MiKe


Chapter 1

Link was enjoying a perfect summer afternoon in the garden at Hyrule castle. He could hear the sweet melody of a songbird as he navigated through the hedges. The rays of sunlight streamed over the tall grey castle walls and hit Link's back. He walked by the delicately hand carved marble fountain that was blocking his view of his favorite spot. He was pleasantly surprised to find that Zelda was there waiting for him. Link sat down next to her.

"What are you doing stealing my spot Zelda?" he said jokingly.

In response she just looked at him and smiled softly. So Link just got comfortable and layed on the grass and stared up at the clouds that were drifting slowly across the sky. Link relaxed. He felt safe and happy for the first time in what seemed like an eternity. He looked over at Zelda, examining her beauty more fully. He looked at her golden-yellow hair as it shimmered in the sunlight. He looked at her face, it's features round and soft, her eyes were a striking blue, like a welcomed oasis to all who gazed apon them. He looked at the curves of her body, they were exquisite. She was in every way the image of a perfect woman.

Link had always found her attractive, but now there was so much more to it than that. After vanquishing Ganon, Link remained at court to protect Hyrule from danger. Over the course of those two years he and Zelda had become very good friends. Even though there was nothing but peace after the defeat of Ganon, the villagers had become terrified of Ganon's return and another of his invasions on the kingdom. Link tried to rationalize with them but they keep demanding that he take action in some way. So Link had decided to set out on a voyage to learn new fighting skills from distant lords, so that he would be better able to defend Hyrule in the future.

It broke Link's heart that he was going to have to leave Hyrule and Zelda. Right now he was hesitant to tell her of his voyage because he knew it would upset her. As he stared at her he wanted to tell her two things at the same time, of his impending journey and of his love for her. He made eye contact with Zelda and began to speak.

"Zelda, I..." Link began.

Zelda stared at Link in shock, as if he shouldn't be able to speak, and then she turned her head in the opposite direction.

"It looks like he's coming around!" she said excitedly to someone that Link could not see. "Link can you hear me?"

As his consciousness returned Link's surroundings faded and transformed before him. Link looked around, he wasn't in the garden any more. He was in a bed and Zelda was sitting next to him on a chair. There was also an old man standing in the back of the room that Link couldn't clearly make out.

"Where am I?" Link asked in a state of utter confusion.



Back to Story Menu