One Life's Power

by Mack Costello


Chapter 18: A Higher Plain

     

Zelda couldn't see anymore, a green haze had thickened the tight room. Then she heard it. The sound of bones crushing, and then an agonizing scream. Finally, a loud slam, then she heard the degrading, the deformation back to normal bodies. One of them was dead.

"Who?" Jamar asked. Zelda didn't answer, she groped with words. She thought of the terrible person her Link was. But, she had a child with him. Then, the other Link, who claimed he would leave when all of this was over. But, he also claimed he would leave immediately and not get involved.

"Why, isn't anyone, coming out?" Zelda asked and looked at Jamar. He just shook his head. Then, someone came out. Clothes ripped, and soaked in blood.

"Who are you?" Jamar squinted.

"Triforce....." the Link said lazily and threw out the Triforce of Power and Courage. Zelda swallowed, took a chance, and threw in the last one.

***

"THERE HAS BEEN A DISRUPTION IN THE KEEPERS OF EVOLUTION."

"IT MAY CAUSE A CIVIL WAR OF ALL THE GODS."

"IT IS ON THE LAND CALLED HYRULE."

"AH, THE GODDESSES'."

"RIGHT, AND IF THIS CAUSES A CHAIN REACTION, THEY WILL BE RESPONSIBLE."

"WE CAN'T HAVE EMOTION IN THE OMNIPOTENT PLAINS."

"YOU DON'T THINK IT WILL SPREAD HERE, DO YOU?"

"IT MIGHT, IF ALL THE KEEPERS GET THESE EVIL THINGS THAT ONLY PATHETIC MORTALS POSSES-"

"WE ALL HAVE THEM, AS WE WERE ALL ONCE MORTAL, THEY ARE SIMPLY CONTROLLED AND REPRESSED."

***

Zelda had left Bagu's house and was now riding silently across the land. She was letting her hair fly wildly. Then she heard it. Screaming and shouting, plus two familiar voices screeching loudest of all.

"You unworthy piece of shit! I'll rip off your head again!"

"AAAAAAHHHHH! You think, you think," Zelda heard a slam, against a hard ground, "you think your puny race could ever compete with mine, with mine?!" Zelda stopped her horse and jumped off. She was beginning to feel faint, the pounding screams of all the strange voices, and the two, the two she knew. A lot of screaming.

"HAHAHAHAHAHA! Look at the fools! And-"

"Hold on!! Someone is, no, it is Zelda! She's listening!" Zelda started screaming and running, it was getting louder and louder.

"Cut her off!" Zelda barely heard above everything else.

"I can't! The group has to be at the platform, we need control!" Zelda couldn't even see anymore, she couldn't hear herself, she wasn't sure if she was screaming or not.

"You and all Hylians could never survive without my race! You are so God Damn pathetic!"

"Your race would have died out if not for us! I would spit on you if you wouldn't wallow in it!"

"You stoop to a level of habitat, you land living, shit tough skin scratching sonofabitch!"

"We need control!"

"Damn you!"

"Cut her off, NOW!" Zelda heard more screams, and new voices.

"Cut who off?"

"Our little Princess has been listening for, a while!"

"What?! How long?!"

"PEOPLE, ZELDA IS-"

"You damn fool!"

"EVERYONE SHUT UP-AAAUUUH!"

"That'll teach him!"

"Wait! The surviving Link has a whole Triforce!"

"CUT HER OFF!"

"Which is it?!" Zelda was now sitting, she wasn't sure if she was on ground, or in water, but she couldn't get the voices and screams out of her head. 'Chaos,' she managed a thought, 'Chaos...........' Then, she didn't hear them anymore.

***

Ganon had been quite calm about the situation, he was shielding Jamar, who continued to watch the other world, to see which Link had survived. Then he heard that Zelda had somehow, accidentally, probably, tapped in. That was happening a lot with some races, their extra magic senses were becoming irrational, like the sentient magic the Keepers use.

But Ganon wasn't sure if the senses were doing this because they were maturing or degrading, and he really didn't care at the present moments. He knew this terrible disruption would travel through out the spiritual plains, eventually reaching the gods, maybe it already had. But now, Jamar was all he cared about. Then a moment of truth ascended. All of the raving half gods heard it.

"Chaos," it was a voice from Zelda, she had realized that all mortals are nothing, nothing but gods with repressed memories. And at first, all gods couldn't handle all the lives and mixed emotions, and were tossed into this mess.

So, the only thing to do was use will and magic, to repress all emotion and anything irrelevant to the job you are appointed. Ganon knew this, but was paying no attention, he only cared which Link survived. All the screaming stopped, when the word chaos was uttered.

Olosk and Evere stopped fighting, and slowly redressed. Evere walked off, he had to get the boat to princess Zelda, she would be here, soon. Evere spit on the ground as he walked off. Olosk walked over to Jamar. "Who is it?"

"I don't know."

***

Zelda watched as a blinding light filled the tight room. She didn't squint, or even move. Jamar didn't either. Then, a character walked out, it was Hero Link, the Triforce was gleaming, Zelda had mixed emotions, Jamar smiled, "K'chpowana! You are damned lucky! Or I am!" Link nodded his head, and all the dwellers and Hylians, and Gerudos, stopped fighting.

"So, peace is your will, then?" Zelda asked. Link nodded.

"Why do you not speak?" Jamar asked.

"I suppose I could," Link smiled.

"Are you going to stay, to ensure us what you wished?" Zelda hoped.

"No, I've been here long enough, it is time I get back to my Hyrule," Link said.

"I will miss you," Zelda said. Link nodded.

"Maybe we will see you again," Jamar said.

"Oh, I have no doubt I'll see you again, Jamar, and you, Zelda, but you may not see me," Link said.

"You refer to the other Hyrule?" Jamar inquired.

"Jamar, Zelda," Link said, "I will be riding out tomorrow, and tomorrow will be delicate, you will both have to stay, and I know you can make this work," Link said.

"Tomorrow?" Jamar asked.

"That is right," Link said.

"What's keeping you?" Zelda asked. Link and Jamar looked at her.

"I have to make a final speech to the dwellers," Link said. Zelda nodded, she didn't want him here a minute longer than he had to be if he wasn't going to stay. Zelda turned around and walked out of the tight room.

***

Zelda made it to the bay with no further problem. She was still a bit baffled about her experience, but thought little of it. She arrived to see the small row boat at the bay, and a Keeper, sitting in it. 'Sitting?' Zelda thought, 'they usually stand, is he, tired.....?'

"Being the deductive person you are, Princess Zelda, you are no doubt wondering why I am sitting down, correct?"

"That's right," Zelda said.

"Well, I must tell you, that we all have mortal features, repressed," The Keeper said.

***

"NEWS IS SPREADING FAST."

"I SEE THAT, OTHER KEEPERS OF OTHER LANDS, AND WORLDS, ARE BEGINNING TO FEEL EMOTION, HUNGER, DROWSINESS, TO NAME A FEW."

"SOME HAVE EVEN EMBARKED ON VISION QUESTS TO EXPERIENCE IT TO ITS FULL."

"I HAVEN'T BEEN WATCHING THE KEEPERS, I'VE BEEN CONCENTRATING ON THE PEOPLE OF THE LAND OF HYRULE, ONE LAND IS CAUSING ALL OF THIS, IN FORMING THEIR LIVES, THEY HAVE NOT GONE EXACTLY AS THEIR SPIRITS HAD WRITTEN THEM."

"THEIR SPIRITS ARE AWARE OF THAT."

"ARE YOU SUGGESTING A REVOLT?"

"I WILL REMIND YOU, A KEEPER OF THIS HYRULE ONCE TOOK ADVANTAGE OF THE LOOSE RULES AND VISITED AN IMPORTANT MAN CALLED LINK."



Back to Story Menu