One Life's Power

by Mack Costello


Chapter 21: Morning

     

When Link and Zelda returned, the King made no big deal. He knew one day was left until the storm began moving again. Paul was happy to see both, but was busy with affairs on how to make it rain. Link and Zelda went around to the tree with Impa, to attempt to control the magic in Link's body.

Meanwhile, Ganon had returned to Death Mountain, just before he left the Keepers, he used his magic to rally his troops, and bring back others to life. He took in a deep breath, and ran his fingers across his neck; the scar that used to be there was no longer even traceable. Ganon smiled, he began barking orders that would speed up the process of the land reconditioning.

A man in robes walked up to Ganon. "Hello Evere," Ganon said without looking.

"Ganon," Evere said.

"What do you want, Evere?" Ganon asked.

"Just checking in, I knew you would prepare to get back into power," Evere said.

"Of course, you were the only sane one, and the others really believed Link could learn the magic! HA!" Ganon threw back his head with laughter.

"What if he did?" Evere asked.

"It doesn't matter, he'd have to be concentrating, and I plan to attack the day the storm hits!" Ganon said.

"That's very you," Evere said.

"So it is," Ganon replied.

"You are an evil beast," Evere said, he then turned around.

"Leaving already?" Ganon asked.

"Yes," Evere began to walk away.

"Well, send my regards and thanks to the group," Ganon said.

"Mh-hm," Evere mumbled and then disappeared in a flash of light. Ganon turned back around to oversee the progress.

***

Link concentrated on the being within him. Zelda and Impa were watching in silence. Link put a hand on the tree. He felt the magic try to go to it, but it couldn't get through his hand. Link opened his eyes and asked Impa to come. She did. Zelda stood straight, she knew Diette was there. She felt her presence as she flied up to her shoulder.

"Do you remember why I gave you this day?" Diette demanded, she didn't sound friendly.

"Yes," Zelda said quietly.

"Why aren't you telling Link how you-"

"Because this is more important!" Zelda hissed.

"More important! Are you insane?!" Diette almost fell off Zelda's shoulder in rage.

"That's right, more important," Zelda whispered wide eyed at Diette.

"Nothing, little princess, nothing is more important than-"

"Then I changed my mind, Paul is just fine," Zelda steadied her voice.

"Oh, bull, don't give me that shit, you are just to damn scared to approach him," Diette almost screamed.

"Lower your voice," Zelda whispered.

"You disappoint me, Zelda," Diette shook her head.

"So sorry," Zelda said.

"You should be, little girl, after all, it's your loss," Diette said.

"Then why are you concerned?" Zelda asked.

"Because I like you," Diette said.

"Oh, then stop your storm all together," Zelda said.

"You know I can't do that," Diette flew off abruptly. Zelda sighed and watched the small fairy fly off.

"This is impossible, how do I tame something I can't communicate with?!" Link asked noone as he leaned down on the tree.

"I don't know, but it can control the weather if we do tame it," Impa was quite calm. Link put his head in his hands and groaned. "I have pressing matters to attend to, keep practicing, you need complete relaxation for it to communicate," Impa began to walk off. Zelda walked over to the opposite side of the tree and sat down.

"So, have you even communicated with it at all?" Zelda asked.

"Yeah, once, it wasn't very cooperative," Link said.

"Oh?" Zelda asked.

"Yeah, it was more interested in exploring my _unconscious brain,'" Link said.

"I don't doubt that," Zelda smiled.

"I guess I see the humor in that, very dry, I don't really see it funny," Link said without expression.

"Well, it was meant as more of a comment than a joke," Zelda said.

"Whatever," Link said, "this is insane, there is no way, no way, I can learn this, they must have been able to give me something else!"

"Whether they could or not, this is what we got, so we will have to work with it," Zelda said.

"So," Link sighed, "how are things?"

"Like what?" Zelda asked.

"Like you, Paul, you and Paul, how are you and Paul?" Link asked.

"We're, uh....." Zelda stuttered, "we, are.........we're fine," She said getting up.

"Where are you going?" Link asked. Zelda walked around to Link, and kneeled down in front of him.

"Link," She said. He cocked his head back and raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah.....?" He answered.

"I don't think they meant for you to use this magic, well, maybe they did, but Ganon didn't, and I don't think we should waste what is quite possibly the last civilized day in our lives worrying about it," Zelda said evenly.

"Then what do you suggest we do?" Link brought his face up even with Zelda's.

"I've got a few suggestions on that," Zelda smiled.

***

"THERE WAS AN EMOTION BURST ON EIGHT OTHER WORLDS."

"THIS IS NOT GOOD."

"AS A MATTER OF FACT, I HEARD ONE OF THE GODDESSES CHUCKLE."

"WHO?"

"DIN."

"DIN?! SHE WAS NEVER REBELLIOUS!"

"LOOK, RIGHT THEN, YOU GOT EXCITED."

"I.......I DID...........WE MUST DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS."

"WHAT CAN WE DO? THERE IS NO MAGIC POWERFUL ENOUGH TO STOP THIS....THING."

"IT WILL CAUSE A CIVIL WAR! THINK!"

"YOU ARE GETTING EXCITED."

"RIGHT...RIGHT....I'VE GOT TO STOP THAT."

***

"Zelda is coming on to Link! Look!" Jamar laughed.

"Holy shit, Evere come here!" Olosk said.

"What is it?" Evere asked.

"Watch Zelda, look look look, she's got something in her teeth!" Jamar screeched.

"Where?" Evere asked.

"Right there dummy!" Olosk said pointing to an almost invisible spek.

"It seems you two are going through careless emotional bursts," Evere stated.

"Yes, yes we are, emotions are good things!" Olosk said.

"No, they cause distrust and deception, that is why we repress them," Evere said, "Don't you remember how they came to be, us fighting?" Evere asked. Olosk didn't reply.



Back to Story Menu