The Legend Begins

By Janus Kamaren


Author's Note: I do not own the Legend of Zelda or anything related to it. Nathan, Ammon, Talius, Orgis, Ophelius, and Mandrag are all the property of me. However, the name Mandrag is the property of Nintendo.

 

This story is based on the first Zelda game, just to avoid some confusion. To be specific, I mean “The Legend of Zelda,” not whatever Zelda game you believe to be chronologically the first one.

 



 

Chapter 1: The War Begins

 

Eighteen-year-old Princess Zelda ran down the torch-lit hallways of Hyrule Castle, trying to tune out the sounds of the battle outside. She screamed as a Hylian soldier was thrown straight through a stained-glass window, his body riddled with crossbow bolts. Ganon’s army had attacked without warning and without mercy. Thousands were being slaughtered as the Hylian Royal Army fought back against the onslaught. Zelda threw open a large wooden door, ran inside a room, and locked the door.

“My lady,” a priest said, “What are you doing here? You should be with your father.”

“Ganon’s come for the Triforce of Wisdom!” Zelda cried. “We cannot allow him to obtain it!” She was almost hysterical. Impa, Zelda’s elderly nursemaid, stepped out of the shadows, placing a comforting arm on the princess.

“Shush, child,” she said quietly. “Is there anything that we can do, Orpheon?”

“Yes,” the priest said. He picked up a small, ornate box. Large rubies, sapphires, and emeralds could be found on it. He opened the box, a bright light emanating from it. Inside could be found a golden triangle. The Triforce of Wisdom. Just looking at the glowing relic put one in awe. Orpheon placed it on a stone alter.

“What are you doing?” Zelda asked, a bit calmer now.

“With your permission, my lady, I am going to send this piece of the Triforce to the depths of the most dangerous ancient temple in all of Hyrule.”

“What? I thought that they were all sealed off.”

“They were. That is why it is the safest place for it to be. Do I have your permission to do this? I normally require your father’s leave, but he obviously can’t make the decision at this time. Remember that it is very possible that we may never retrieve the Triforce.” Zelda thought about this for a moment. The banging on the door helped her decide quicker.

“Do it. We have to keep it out of Ganon’s hands.”

“As you wish.” The priest closed his eyes. His hands moved ceremoniously, sparks of magic of all sorts of colors following them. The Triforce grew even brighter. The priest began chanting arcane words, his voice growing louder and deeper. Its sound also changed, as if several were speaking and not just one. The door was broken open just as the Triforce disappeared. A dog-like Moblin shot Orpheon in the heart with a black-shafted arrow as another shot the old man in the forehead.

“Milady, this way!” Impa shouted, but it was too late. Moblins had already grabbed Zelda.

“Impa, run!” Zelda screamed, struggling against her captors. “Find someone that can help us! Find someone!” Impa dove behind a table as crossbow bolts were shot straight at her. Luckily, the Moblins didn’t care about her and didn’t bother to chase the old woman as she made her way through a secret passage.

 

“What news?”

“They’re falling back, my lord. In a few moments, we will have complete control of the castle.”

“Good. Tell the captains to keep up the fight.”

“Yes, my lord.” The general rode back toward the castle to carry out his orders. Ganondorf Dragmire, sitting on his black stallion, looked over the destruction his army had caused, thoroughly pleased with the outcome. Screams and the sound of clashing swords filled the air. Hyrule was one of the most powerful kingdoms in the world. Its stone castle was built at the dead end of a canyon, making a frontal assault the only available option. Magical wards protected it from avalanches. It was virtually impregnable. But when caught off guard and completely overwhelmed, the castle could be taken. A group of Moblins approached him, carrying Hyrule’s princess, Zelda. She looked at him, an odd mixture of fear and defiance clear in her crystal blue eyes.

“My lord,” the Moblin captain spoke. “We have brought you the Princess.”

“I can see that, General Crush. Now, give me the Triforce.” The Moblin was silent.

“Lord Ganondorf,” Crush slowly spoke, “it wasn’t there. The pointy ears got rid of it.”

“General Crush, I gave specific orders that you would bring me the princess as well as the Triforce of Wisdom.”

“I know, my lord, but I-” In a flash, Ganon had drawn his sword and decapitated the Moblin. Zelda gasped, fear now the only evident feature in her eyes. The other Moblins were doing their best to hide their discomfort. Ganon sheathed his blade.

“Put her in the prisoners’ carriage and take her back to the castle.” He began to shout to his army. “Find out where the Triforce was sent! Reward to the one that brings me the King!”

 

It was a bright day, and two young adventurers on horseback were racing through the forest. One had long brown hair, and was clad in a green tunic with a coat of chainmail beneath it, and brown pants and a shirt beneath that. He had a long green hat, leather gauntlets and boots, and a broadsword hanging from his belt. The other had blonde hair pulled back in a ponytail, and wore a white shirt, black pants, and a red jerkin. He was wearing chainmail as well, and a katana was strapped to his back.

“You’re not winning this one, Nathan!” the brunette taunted.

“That’s what you think, Link!” Their high-speed race continued, the riders dodging low-hanging branches. Laughter could be heard from both of them.

“You’ll have to be faster than that!” Link said.

“Hey, what’s going on up there?” Nathan replied, looking ahead. Four Moblins surrounded a short old woman.

“This could get interesting,” Link commented, grinning. Moblins weren’t known for their intelligence. One of the Moblins knocked the woman down. All four of them laughed, as the woman cowered in fear.

“Excuse me!” Nathan called out in an innocent voice. The Moblins looked at the two young men. “Excuse me, but I’m new to Hyrule. Tell me, is it customary for the people of this country to attack old women? It doesn’t seem very valorous to me, but unless cowardice and valor are the same thing to you, don’t let me stop you!”

“What!?” shouted the lead Moblin, his temper getting the better of him.

“Oh, forgive me if I’ve offended you,” Nathan replied. He looked around. “I had heard of the beauty of this country, but I see that it’s only in the scenery, and not in gentlemen such as you.” The Moblins began to approach him, clubs ready.

“Shut up, pointy-ear!”

“My, I’m sorry if I offend! I did not mean that harshly! This is a wonderful country you have here! The sights! The sounds! The smells!” He sniffed in the Moblins’ general direction. “Wait, no, not the smells.” The Moblins had had enough. The leader raised his club, and Link shot him in the throat with his bow. Nathan reared his horse back, its hooves kicking two Moblins in the face. Link shot the last Moblin as it fled.

“Sometimes, I feel sorry for these fools,” Link said. He dismounted and helped the old woman up. “Are you okay?” he asked.

“Yes, thank you,” she said, trying to catch her breath. “It’s nice to see that there are some nice young men left these days.” The woman was very short. Her face was old and wrinkled, but her eyes showed the vast amount of wisdom that she held. Her white hair was pulled back in a ponytail. Hanging from her neck was a medallion bearing the crest of the Royal Family.

“I am Link, son of Arn. This is Nathan, son of Tannis. What’s your name?”

“My name is Impa. I am the nursemaid of the Princess Zelda.” Link and Nathan were confused.

“Wait,” Nathan said, “if you are the nursemaid of the Princess, then what are you doing all the way out here?” Impa’s eyes filled with tears.

“Hyrule Castle has been taken over…”

“What?” Link and Nathan both said. This was certainly news to them.

“Who did this?” Link demanded.

“Dragmire… Ganondorf Dragmire…” the old woman collapsed into Link’s arms, crying hysterically.

 



Back to Story Menu