~Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Nabooru, Navi, and other related characters and places are all property of Nintendo. No infringement intended

Prelude to the Legend

  By Lynn


~ Author's note: This story takes place approximately ten years before LoZ:OoT and I have tried to make it as "historically" accurate as I can. This is just basically my idea of what happened to Link's parents and such. It's my first fanfiction ever so please don't judge too harshly, Kay? Hope you enjoy :)

 

CHAPTER 1 - The Never-ending Struggle

 

  The castle seemed eerily silent as a young man briskly made his way down the stone corridor; the hollow tread of his own footsteps echoing in his long Hylian ears. Upon arriving at the heavy oak door at the end of the hall, he paused. Quickly he ran a hand through his dark brown hair and straightened his rumpled, bloodstained uniform, before knocking lightly. "Enter," a weary voice answered from the other side of the door. The young Hylian did so, finding himself in a large room. The room was filled with several shelves crammed with files and records, a large oak table covered with maps and papers took up almost the entire interior. A man rose from his seat at the table around which several others sat. "Your Majesty," the young man bowed slightly.

"Captain Gavin," the other replied grimly acknowledging the soldier, "I hope you bring good news."

"The battle is ours Your Highness."

The king released his breath, half in relief, half in weariness. "And how many casualties?"

"Nearing on two thousand for us, sir, well over two thousand five hundred for them," the Captain answered in an equally haggard voice.

"That many?" The king replied in a hoarse whisper.

"Yes, but still we were only able to push them as far back as the Eastern border, and I fear that they are making plans to launch another offensive in the morning." "Then we must immediately send troops to strengthen our front lines, and..." "King Trebonius, if I may," one of the men sitting around the table interrupted, "I suggest that we strike first, before they are able to reorganize their army and finish them once and for all. By now we must surely outnumber them two to one."

"No, General Emit, I will not be responsible for the shedding of so much blood. If there is no way we can avoid another confrontation, then so be it, but I will not make the first move." "But Your Majesty," another spoke up, "our troops are spent as it is; I don't think they will be able to hold against another full-fledged Gerudo attack. If we act immediately before they are prepared, we may have a chance of at least pushing the battle onto their own turf, away from our towns and people."

"Yes, but then they would be closer to supplies and fresh recruits," another argued.

"Not if we burn the fortress before they have a chance," General Emit contended.

"But that could result in several civilian casualties." a third put in. "As if they haven't already mercilessly slaughtered any of our women and children! It would serve those Gerudo scum right if...."

"Enough!!" the king exclaimed angrily. "Our duty is not to massacre the enemy, but to protect our homes and our families! I tell you now gentlemen that I take no pride in the lives our armies have taken today! Would to the Goddesses that I could have spared so much loss for both us and them!" He looked each of them in the eyes, daring them to object. As they all lowered their gazes upon meeting the king's challenging stare, he continued in a more subdued voice, "Now, we shall strengthen our forces and prepare to launch a defensive if necessary, and unless any of you have something to add," he paused, the room was silent, "you are dismissed." The men rose and quietly filed out of the room. "Captain, please stay for a moment," the king said to the young man.

"Yes sir?"

"How are the men holding up?"

Gavin sighed, "They are tired Your Highness, but they are good men and they are willing to fight hard to defend their homes and families."

"Good, good. I have just recently received word from the Sheikah. They have been able to gather together a good army which will hopefully arrive by morning." "That would be of great help sir, we are badly in need of new recruits." "I have guessed as much." King Trebonius sat heavily in his chair, "Every night I pray to the Goddesses that these wars will end."

"As do I your majesty," Gavin agreed solemnly, "Now if I may be excu..." He was interrupted by a light tapping on the door. "Come in," the king answered. The door opened and a beautiful woman entered the room. "Celine, what are you doing here?" the king questioned.

"I just heard the news," she replied quietly walking over to him. "I hope I'm not interrupting anything?" Celine asked, seeming to have just noticed Gavin. "No, Your Highness, I was just leaving," Gavin answered bowing slightly before her.

Then turning to the king, "Good Evening sir."

"May the Goddesses go with you Captain."

The king turned to his young wife. Her normally laughing blue eyes were filled with sadness. "Is it true that so many have been killed?" she asked in a barely audible voice. Much as he'd like to soften it for her, King Trebonius knew that she would never forgive him if he did. "Yes, I am afraid so," he answered simply.

Her eyes filled with tears, "Will it never end. Are the Goddesses so cruel? None of those men should be out there dying; they should be home with their families tending their fields and businesses."

The king took Celine's chin and tipped her face up to meet his. "All shall be well, do not worry yourself over this."

"You do not know how horrible it is!" she cried, "Every night I see them in my dreams, I see them being killed! I cannot bear looking on any of the soldiers, for I already know which ones will not make it out of battle alive!"

Trebonius stroked her golden hair and pulled her close. The queen seemed to possess a special gift, one that afforded her vague insight into the future through her dreams. Many claimed that she received prophecies. The king was not sure how much credibility he put into such notions, but nevertheless, he knew that it caused his wife great distress. "Now, now," he said reassuringly, "your dreams are only nightmares stemming from the wars, they are no more. Please do not fear, everything shall be fine, you will see."

Celine nodded wordlessly and rose to leave, but paused at the door. "I do hope so," she replied as tear rolled down her cheek, "for if my dreams are more than what you say, that young man who was just in here will not be around to see this terrible war's end." And with that she left, before the king had a chance to reply.

 

Back to Story Menu